Human Resources Director
Fathom Consulting is seeking our next human resources leader to collaborate with our high-performing team throughout the firm’s next chapter of growth. As Fathom’s Human Resources Director, you’ll inform and execute business strategy, focusing on attracting and retaining top talent, cultivating an environment where all our people thrive, and adding processes and programs that support scale and sustainability.
As an HR department of one, the Human Resources Director is a key contributor to Fathom’s leadership team and is responsible for the firm’s entire HR function. Reporting to the CEO & Managing Partner, you will come with a dynamic set of operational and HR experiences, as well as a strong understanding of human resources and DEI best practices across the field. You will have an affinity for serving people and helping them succeed. You’re a hands-on, collaborative leader who can motivate and influence, stay focused on details, and nurture a deep curiosity about business and organizational development.
Fathom places significant priority on our people and our culture. We continuously invest in our Great Place to Be strategy, which represents an intentionally higher standard than a “great place to work” (although we’ve won those awards too!). We believe Fathom is a great place because of—not regardless of—the diversity of identities, experiences, and differing perspectives everyone brings to the organization. It recognizes trust, psychological safety, and respect as critical aspects of our shared workplace. Our HR leader will play a key role in ensuring we realize our Great Place to Be strategy and will develop and implement HR initiatives to support Fathom’s mission, vision, and valued behaviors.
About Fathom Consulting
Fathom Consulting is a Minneapolis-based business and design consultancy that helps organizations take a human-centric approach to the design and improvement of their most important products, services, and experiences. We help our clients make confident choices by bringing the right voices to the table, creating a shared understanding of the problem to solve, and aligning around the best way forward. Our work is primarily in the healthcare and medical device sectors, but we also work across many different industries.
We recognize the importance of having staff members who bring a wide range of perspectives to our work. Fathom Consulting is actively committed to developing and maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment where all people are respected and valued.
About this Role
As a part of the Fathom team, you will:
Overall HR Operations
- Be responsible for the administration of all HR programs including, but not limited to, policies and procedures; compensation, benefits, and leave; onboarding and off-boarding; employee relations; recruitment and talent acquisition; diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives; performance and talent management; recognition and engagement; coordination of payroll processes with Finance; and HR compliance.
- Utilize ADP Workforce Now for HRIS and payroll, along with other broker-driven systems for new hire onboarding and benefits coordination.
- Be comfortable working in a self-directed environment.
- Sit on the leadership team as a member of the Operations Committee and Strategic Execution team.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), Culture, and Employee Experience
- Ensure DEI principles and vision are integrated into Fathom’s internal systems, policies, and processes, and hold a seat on the DEI committee. Generate a point of view about emerging DEI issues, topics, and trends.
- Create and cultivate a safe space where employees can address concerns and receive support navigating difficult situations.
- Generate an employee experience that contributes to a work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging.
- Design and implement employee engagement processes and programs. This could include surveys and other tools that measure employee satisfaction and engagement. In addition, make recommendations how to improve employee engagement based on results and feedback.
Recruiting/Talent Acquisition and Onboarding
- Support workforce planning efforts to analyze and forecast hiring needs and talent gaps.
- Manage the direct hire and independent subcontractor structure, processes, practices, training, and tools necessary to lead recruitment and interviewing efforts that will attract talented individuals who are committed to Fathom’s mission, vision, and valued behaviors.
- Lead efforts to recruit, engage, and retain talent from diverse backgrounds.
- Manage the hiring-to-onboarding transition, ensuring all new hires are set up for success in their roles.
- Continuously monitor onboarding process and make recommendations for improvements.
- Strengthen and enhance a system for ongoing performance management through positive and productive engagement on job responsibilities, expectations, goal setting and planning, to optimize an individual’s performance and align with Fathom’s strategic goals.
- Manage the organizational review process that evaluates behavior, performance, competency, and knowledge. This also includes succession planning processes.
- Serve as the primary conduit for addressing challenges related to performance and other concerns.
Compensation and Benefits
- Analyze trends in compensation and benefits; research and propose competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization is market competitive to attract and retain top talent.
- Evaluate job titles, descriptions, levels, and compensation across the business and propose areas for improvement.
- Manage benefits design and administration including insurance, 401k, PTO, etc.
Compliance, Systems and Support
- Protect the interests of the company by monitoring and ensuring compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices. This will include staff trainings, professional development, and certifications, responding to audits, and reviewing, modifying, and developing policies and practices as needed.
- Periodically evaluate current technology systems and support tools and make recommendations about improving functionality, experience, and/or costs.
Relevant Experience and Mindset
The experience and values listed below are guidelines for who we think might succeed in this role. If you have personal and professional experiences not listed below but that you think make you a great candidate, let us know! We want to hear from you.
- 8+ years progressive human resource management experience.
- 2+ years in strategic business planning, specifically as it relates to talent development.
- 2+ years of experience managing talent acquisition strategies, training, and partnerships.
- Strong understanding of employment/labor and benefits laws, benefits plan, payroll processes and laws, compensation, and recruitment.
- Meticulous attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Commitment to building cultural humility by continually learning and actively promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- A solution-oriented approach and a strong understanding of how to enable an organization to succeed through attracting, training, developing, and retaining talent.
- Knowledge of change management practices and work culture transformation.
- Strong reasoning and analytical skills and exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills; ability to maintain a positive, professional, and service-oriented demeanor toward a variety of stakeholders.
- An empathetic, creative, and flexible approach to negotiation and problem-solving.
- A collaborative mindset and willingness to advise, coach, and counsel across all levels of the organization.
- A high comfort level and sense of ease managing conflict and guiding distinctly different personalities to resolution.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations at all levels of the organization.
- MS Office Suites proficiency such as: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to organize work and schedule efficiently and effectively under minimal supervision.
Nice to have:
- PHR/SPHR certification.
- Knowledge of payroll/HRIS systems – ADP Workforce Now.
- Industry experience with professional services consulting firm.
- Degree in Human Resources or related field.
What We Offer
At Fathom, we recognize there are many factors that inﬂuence your overall satisfaction at work and in your personal life. We provide a nice mixture of compensation, beneﬁts, and resources to our employees that help you reach a happier, more balanced life. Some of these oﬀerings include:
- Generous paid time off
- 401(k) matching
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Company subsidized parking
- Flexible schedule
- Work Environment: Flexible hybrid work environment, work from home and office setting onsite in Minneapolis, MN.
- Salary range information will be shared during your first conversation with Fathom.
- Due to client requirements, the candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY
Fathom believes all people belong and deserve fairness and racial justice. We are committed to advancing policies, practices and a workplace culture that reflects the high value we place on all people, promotes anti-racism and does not tolerate discrimination. Read more.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Fathom Consulting is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans’ status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested? Apply below! Have a few questions you’d like to ask before you apply? Reach out to Mary Hanson, Fathom HR Director, to schedule a quick call to get your questions answered.