Senior Consultant, Experience Research & Design
Fathom Consulting is in search of a colleague who is curious, fluent in a wide range of research methods and collaborative design approaches, surfaces great insights, creates polished deliverables, and collaborates to create effective human-centered products, services, experiences, and workflows.
As a part of the Fathom team, you will:
- Lead and collaborate on research and design projects with cross-disciplinary clients and Fathom team members.
- Plan, design, and conduct qualitative design research activities (e.g., observational visits, 1:1 interviews, focus groups, diary studies, community-led research, and concept/prototype testing).
- Develop high-quality, well-structured, visually appealing, and user-friendly deliverables that clearly communicate research insights to the team. This may include visualized findings, journey maps, flows, or concept ideas.
- Plan and facilitate workshops with clients and their customers to generate ideas, elicit requirements, co-design solutions, prioritize, and develop research hypotheses.
- Be prepared to serve as a primary face to the client, driving projects forward as a day-to-day project manager, responding to client needs with creativity and flexibility, and ensuring high quality delivery and high levels of client satisfaction.
- Be encouraged and given the freedom to explore new areas of interest, techniques, and approaches to deliver ever-higher levels of consulting service to your clients.
- Be supported to participate in professional organizations, societies, networking groups, and board service.
- Bring your own unique perspectives and strengths to our team.
Relevant experience and mindset:
The experience and values listed below are guidelines for who we think might succeed in this role. If you have personal and professional experiences not listed below but that you think make you a great candidate, let us know! We want to hear from you.
- Multiple years’ experience improving products and services via qualitative design research (e.g., observational visits, 1:1 interviews, focus groups, diary studies, community-led research, and concept/prototype testing).
- Experience selecting research methods, designing studies, and leading research.
- Experience synthesizing research data to extract meaningful insights and determine implications and opportunities.
- Expertise conveying insights clearly across all mediums (visual, written, verbal).
- Client service background (e.g., professional services, agency, or consulting environment) with experience directly managing client relationships, responsively adapting to changes, and ensuring high levels of client satisfaction.
- Project management competency, including strong communication skills and familiarity with tools and methods for ensuring timely and effective project delivery.
- Drive to bring clarity to ambiguous or quickly changing situations and projects.
- Comfort with working as a solo practitioner, team member/collaborator, or project lead.
- Strong commitment to building cultural humility by continually learning and actively promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- Ability to thrive in a self-directed culture.
- Desire to build and grow relationships with co-workers, clients, and communities within and outside the Twin Cities.
- Openness to feedback and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, with openness to travel within the United States and around the world for client meetings and/or research and design efforts (~10%).
- Experience working within a variety of industries.
- BA/BS in relevant field or 7+ years equivalent experience.
- This role is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota with flexibility to work in the Fathom office, at home, or periodically at client sites.
- Salary range information will be shared during initial HR screening conversations.
- Due to client requirements, the candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
About Fathom Consulting
Fathom Consulting is a business and design consultancy that helps organizations take a human-centric approach to the design and improvement of their most important products, services, and experiences. Our clients engage us as proven partners in unraveling and solving strategic, operational, and customer experience challenges. Among the Twin Cities 100 Best companies to work for, we offer our employees meaningful and challenging client engagements; an open, flexible work environment; and competitive compensation and benefits.
Our work primarily happens in the healthcare and medical device sectors, but we also work across many different industries. We believe that the best products and services are a result of a creation process that is equitable, inclusive, and driven by a diversity of thought and experience. We recognize the importance of having staff members that bring a wide range of perspectives to our work. Fathom Consulting is actively committed to developing and maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment where all people are respected and valued.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY
Fathom believes all people belong and deserve fairness and racial justice. We are committed to advancing policies, practices and a workplace culture that reflects the high value we place on all people, promotes anti-racism and does not tolerate discrimination. Read more.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Fathom Consulting is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans’ status, or any other characteristic protected by law.