Senior Consultant, Experience Research and Design
Fathom Consulting is in search of a colleague who is curious, inspired by people, surfaces great insights, creates polished concepts, and collaborates to create effective human-centered products, services, experiences, and workflows.
A deep understanding of experience design methods—including problem framing, ideation, concept visualization, and prototyping—will be important for this role.
About Fathom Consulting
Fathom Consulting is a business and design consultancy that helps organizations take a human-centric approach to the design and improvement of their most important products, services, and experiences. Our work is primarily in the healthcare and medical device sectors, but we also work across many different industries.
We believe that the best products and services are a result of a creation process that is equitable, inclusive, and driven by a diversity of thought and experience. We recognize the importance of having staff members who bring a wide range of perspectives to our work. Fathom Consulting is actively committed to developing and maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment where all people are respected and valued.
About this Role
As a part of the Fathom team, you will:
- Create product, interface, service, or process designs, as represented through deliverables such as product mock-ups, screen flows, wireframes, interactive prototypes, user interface designs, journey maps, service blueprints, or storyboards.
- Participate in internal, client, and customer/end-user design feedback sessions, and iteratively incorporate feedback into designs.
- Facilitate interactive workshops with clients and end-users to generate ideas, elicit requirements, co-design solutions, and develop research hypotheses.
- Serve as a primary face to the client, driving projects forward as a day-to-day project manager, responding to client needs with creativity and flexibility, and ensuring high quality delivery and high levels of client satisfaction.
- Contribute to business development efforts, including developing and maintaining relationships with current, former, and prospective clients and crafting project approaches and proposals.
- Be encouraged and given the freedom to explore new areas of interest, techniques, and approaches to deliver ever-higher levels of consulting service to your clients.
- Be supported to participate in local professional organizations, societies, networking groups and board service.
- Bring your own unique perspectives and strengths to our team.
Relevant Experience and Mindset
The experience and values listed below are guidelines for who we think might succeed in this role. If you have personal and professional experiences not listed below but that you think make you a great candidate, let us know! We want to hear from you.
- Vast experience creating and improving products and services via human-centered research and design methods.
- Interest in learning and leveraging a variety of design tools to visualize products, services, flows, and experiences.
- Experience designing for healthcare audiences (patients, clinicians, technicians).
- Experience and/or strong desire to work closely with clients in the medical device industry.
- Ability to synthesize feedback to extract meaningful insights and convey those insights clearly across all mediums (visual, written, verbal).
- At least 2 years in a consulting/agency/client service environment.
- BA/BS in relevant field or 7+ years equivalent experience.
- The ability to plan and conduct design research (not required but a plus).
- Driven to bring clarity to ambiguous or quickly changing situations and projects.
- Comfortable working as a solo practitioner, team member/collaborator, or project manager.
- Proactive and self-motivated. Able to thrive in a self-directed culture.
- Committed to building cultural humility by continually learning and actively promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
- Willing and have a desire to build and grow relationships with co-workers, clients, and communities within and outside the Twin Cities.
- Open to feedback and willing to listen to a wide spectrum of perspectives.
- Able to work flexibly and efficiently in a deliverable-driven environment.
- Open to travel within the United States and around the world for client meetings and/or research and design efforts (~10%).
What We Offer
At Fathom, we recognize there are many factors that inﬂuence your overall satisfaction at work and in your personal life. We provide a nice mixture of compensation, beneﬁts, and resources to our employees that help you reach a happier, more balanced life. Some of these oﬀerings include:
- Generous paid time off
- 401(k) matching
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Company-subsidized parking
- Flexible schedule
- Hybrid work environment
- This role is based in Minneapolis, Minn., with flexibility to work in the Fathom office, at home, or periodically at client sites.
- Salary range information will be shared during your first conversation with Fathom.
- Our interview process aims to efficiently establish what it would be like to work together and give you a sense of what Fathom is all about. While there will be a several-step interview process, you will not be asked to perform personality tests, complete in-person challenges, or do homework.
- Due to client requirements, the candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a 5-10 panel drug screen.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY
Fathom believes all people belong and deserve fairness and racial justice. We are committed to advancing policies, practices and a workplace culture that reflects the high value we place on all people, promotes anti-racism and does not tolerate discrimination. Read more.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Fathom Consulting is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veterans’ status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested? Apply below! Have a few questions you’d like to ask before you apply? Reach out to Mary Hanson, Fathom HR Director, to schedule a quick call to get your questions answered.